John Oliver discusses the mechanics of union-busting, why the companies who do it face so few consequences, and what it really means when your manager wants to talk to you about “your attendance.”
Excellent video from the November 14th episode of HBO’s Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. The 4Cs is currently opposing the BOR’s use of union-busting law firm Jackson Lewis, as we noted from a September eNews:
CT Board of Regents David Jimenez is a principal attorney in the Hartford, CT office of Jackson Lewis, one of the three largest union-busting law firms in the country.
This is not a secret. This is something that Jackson Lewis even promotes on their own webpage.
The CT Board of Regents are actively adopting strategies from Jackson Lewis in their attempt to weaken collective bargaining. The 4Cs has joined with our union brothers and sisters to demand President Cheng fire Jackson Lewis. Add your name here!
President Cheng is coming around our colleges for his speaking tour (schedule here). The following are a few questions to ask him when he comes to your college.
- Why does the BOR have a member who works for the most notorious union-busting law firm in the country?
- Does Jackson Lewis provide union-busting consultation to BOR?
- What is your personal opinion on union-avoidance strategies led by Jackson Lewis?
- Do you think union-avoidance and anti-worker strategies have a positive or negative impact on low-wage workers and Black and Brown communities?
- Do you agree that attacks on public sector unions disproportionally impact Black and Latino workers?
- What message does that send to our students and our communities that anti-worker champions are leading our CT public higher education system?